The 10 Best Carole King Quotes
RollingStones50yrs3 / YouTube
If you’re into heartfelt lyrics that tug our heartstrings in any way, then you might want to check out Carole King’s impressive repertoire of songs. Whether she’s penned it for others or herself, we all know it’s a great song if it’s credited to her. For over 60 years of her career, she has built an iconic reputation, making friends with fellow legends and becoming an inspiration to thousands of people who wished to have a talent like hers. Below, are some of the iconic quotes from King that you might want to take note of.
- “I write heavily under the influence of James Taylor.”
- “Everybody understands friendship, and friendship is different than love—it’s a different kind of love. Friendship has more freedom, more latitude. You don’t expect your friend to be as you think your friend should be; you expect your friend just to love you as a friend.”
- “All I needed to do was sing with conviction, speaking my truth from the heart, honestly and straightforwardly, and to offer my words, ideas and music to the audience as if it were one collective friend that I’d known for a very long time.”
- “In my career, I have never felt that my being a woman was an obstacle or an advantage. I guess I’ve been oblivious.”
- “My creativity is an entity unto its own.”
- “I just sort of try to be a good person; try to write music that lifts people and makes me feel good to sing.”
- “When I wake up every morning, I smile and say, ‘Thank you.’ Because out of my window I can see the mountains, then go hiking with my dog and share her bounding joy in the world.”
- “I only wanted to be a songwriter. I never wanted to be a singer. And I never wanted to be famous.”
- “I’ve had a remarkable life. I seem to be in such good places at the right time. You know, if you were to ask me to sum my life up in one word, gratitude.”
- “My one area of vulnerability was I didn’t know how to have a healthy relationship with a man.”
And if there’s someone worthy of giving us advice on career, music, relationships, and being a woman in an industry surrounded by men, then we might as well listen to the legend herself.